Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Reflecting on 2012


As I sit in the peace and quiet this New Years’ morning, I’m filled with a quiet joy as I contemplate 2012.  Yes, there were rough days, disappointments and heartbreak, but there were also amazing moments of clarity, fun times, and a renewed awareness that I get to decide – in each moment – how I choose to be.  When I reflect back on things I have truly done well, the biggest and most important undertaking of my life has been a team effort…my husband and I working together to raise our three daughters.

When I look at them – three very different, yet strikingly similar lovely young women – the little “aha” light bulb goes on, as in Oh, this is what it’s all about.  I get it.  They are, as I said, very different.  Our oldest is joyful and outgoing, she is a preschool teacher in her last year of college and brings creativity, fun and acceptance into children’s lives on a daily basis, plus she has an incredibly contagious laugh.  Her patience is extraordinary, and when put into a room with a difficult child, she has them engaged in fun, educational activities within a very short period of time.  She is positive, friendly and helpful.  In addition, she is fairly assertive and completely confident in letting those around her know that she requires they treat her with respect. 

Our middle daughter is athletic, intuitive and loyal.  She is a soccer player through and through, but can play just about any sport and will practice tenaciously until she gains the skill she desires.  She is in her third year of college and wants to be a coach/trainer.  Her style is encourage, support, encourage, instruct, encourage, fine tune, encourage.  She has been training me, and though I’m out of shape and not a fitness professional, she helps me feel comfortable and confident each step of the way.  She too is positive, friendly and helpful.  Less vocally assertive than her sisters, but just as likely to walk away if she is disrespected.

Our youngest daughter is playful, compassionate and fair-minded.  A sophomore in high school, she vehemently dislikes injustice and bullying and is willing to take a stand publicly or in private.  She is considering becoming a chef and has become my staunchest supporter in regards to my gluten allergy, remaking all of our favorite recipes so that, quite honestly, I don’t feel deprived in any way.  She’s still a contradiction in the way of teenagers… positive then negative, friendly then grouchy, helpful then sluggish.  The bonus – for me – is that I’ve been through this twice already, so I know the positive, friendly and helpful will prevail.  It goes without saying that she is very assertive.

I guess, looking at the surface, they are different.  But their values and the type of young women they are?  Very similar.  Of course they have their flaws, as we all do, but each day I’m taken aback by how incredible they are.  And on this first day of 2013…I’m taking partial credit for that.  Not for their accomplishments, which are their own, but for doing the work each and every day to support, encourage and guide them toward becoming positive, friendly, helpful and assertive young women.  And then, the real trick, letting them loose into the world to share their gifts.  It hasn’t always been easy, and we’ve fallen down more than a time or two, but we always get back up and begin again…and it’s completely worth it!

So Happy New Year!  And here’s to parenting audaciously in 2013!

1 comment: